On Saturday, June 5, former HELLOWEEN singer Michael Kiske returned to the live stage for the first time in 17 years with his new band UNISONIC — also featuring Dennis Ward (bass) and Kosta Zafiriou (drums) of Germany’s PINK CREAM 69 and Swiss guitarist Mandy Meyer (who has previously played with ASIA, GOTTHARD and KROKUS) — for a headlining performance at Live Music Hall in Mörlenbach, Germany.
The group’s setlist was as follows:
01. Cross The Line (PLACE VENDÔME’s self-titled debut)
02. I’ll Be Gone (extended ending) (PLACE VENDÔME’s self-titled debut)
03. I’ll Be Waiting (PLACE VENDÔME’s self-titled debut)
04. Set Me Free (PLACE VENDÔME’s “Streets Of Fire”)
05. My Guardian Angel (PLACE VENDÔME’s “Streets Of Fire”)
06. Too Late (PLACE VENDÔME’s self-titled debut)
07. 6/8 Souls Alive (new song, written by Mandy Meyer)
08. Completely Breathless (PLACE VENDÔME’s “Streets Of Fire”)
09. Sign Of The Times (PLACE VENDÔME’s self-titled debut)
10. Streets of Fire (PLACE VENDÔME’s “Streets Of Fire”)
11. The Setting Sun (PLACE VENDÔME’s self-titled debut)
12. Follow Me (PLACE VENDÔME’s “Streets Of Fire”)
13. Kids Of The Century (reworked HELLOWEEN song from Kiske’s “Past In Different Ways”)
14. A Little Time (reworked HELLOWEEN song from Kiske’s “Past In Different Ways”)
15. 6/8 Souls Alive (reprise)
16. Cross The Line (reprise)
A review of the concert and photos can be found at MichaelKiske.net.
An Electronic Press Kit (EPK) for UNISONIC can be viewed below.
UNISONIC has finished composing nine songs for its forthcoming debut album. A demo recording is currently being put together and will be used to procure label interest. Italy’s Frontiers Records, with whom Kiske and Ward have both worked in the past on various projects, is reportedly very interested in releasing the CD, but the group is said to be keeping its options open.
Remaining UNISONIC dates:
June 06 – Sonnenkeller – Balingen, Germany
June 10 – Fabrik – Bruchsal, Germany
June 11-12 – Sweden Rock Festival – Sölvesborg, Sweden
UNISONIC marks the first time Kiske has been involved in a real band situation in almost 16 years. Having split with HELLOWEEN in late 1993, he participated in various projects and released several solo albums but had not been part of a real group effort until now.
While collaborating with Ward and Zafiriou on the PLACE VENDOME project four years ago, Kiske found two musical soulmates. They ended up recording two PLACE VENDOME albums before deciding to join forces in a new brand new band. Ward, who had previously produced a record for KROKUS, suggested Meyer as the perfect addition to the group in the vacant guitarist slot.
Kiske, one of the finest and most unique voices in contemporary rock music, explains his motivation of becoming a part of a band again: “Since the PLACE VENDOME productions I was impressed by Dennis Ward‘s skills as a songwriter and producer. We were occasionally fooling around since then via email that we should do more together in the future, so the idea came up to do a new band. I was generally getting a bit tired of doing everything on my own for so many years, so it just felt like the right thing to do now. We can all only benefit from working together. No matter how good you are solo, four people will always be better than one, I think, if they manage to function together. And a real band is also a very good reason to finally go on tour again. After 17 years, I can’t wait to get back on stage and have some fun with the band and the fans!”