© Robert Cavuoto
Press Article by Robert Cavuoto (Journalist/Writer/Contributor) Myglobalmind Webzine
On Tuesday August 6th, Zakk Wylde held a press conference at The Music Collective in New York for 40 to 50 of closest friends in the press to promote Unblackened, a new live DVD, from Black Label Society that will be released on September 24, 2013.
Filmed and recorded earlier this year at Los Angeles’ Club Nokia, Unblackened is Black Label Society presenting their songs in a whole new light, with greater use of acoustic instrumentation. Zakk plays both guitar and piano, with Nick Catanase on guitar, John DeServio on bass/vocals, Chad Szeliga on drums, Derek Sherinian on keyboards/piano, and Greg Locascio providing additional vocals. Their stripped-down approach highlights the subtle nuances of the songwriting, without losing any of the fire or intensity. Classic tracks like “Stillborn,” “The Blessed Hellride,” “In This River,” “Throwin’ It All Away,” “Losin’ Your Mind,” and many others are still punctuated by the stinging, searing solos that fans know and love, while showcasing the versatility of the band.
Zakk’s label home, eOne Music will also release the audio version under the same name. The double disc release will have six additional tracks not found on the DVD including two acoustic versions of “Queen Of Sorrow” and “Won’t Find It Here,” and covers of Leon Russel’s “Song For You” and “Aint No Sunshine” by Bill Withers.
Zakk arrived shortly before 6:00pm in great spirits and introduced a five song preview of from the new DVD to the standing room event. From the back of the room Zakk quipped, cracked jokes, and told histerical stories during the video. Clearly Zakk has an amazing sense of humor.
After the video, Zakk took a seat at a table and answered questions from the press for 30 minutes. He even answered some questions he posed to himself! Some of the more serious topics that he addressed:
• He is not on steroids!
• He is not retiring!
• He did in fact play on the Ozzy CDs!
• He stays sexy by working out with his yoga instructor and wears a new cologne called Calvin Clown
• Unblackened showcases all mellow tunes that Black Label Society never gets a chance to play live vs. doing another heavier DVD
• This DVD for the Berserker Nation who wants to hear the mellow stuff live, its Unblackened – not unplugged
• Bill Withers “Aint No Sunshine” was selected because that is what he and BLS listen to while on the road touring from city to city. It’s just great timeless music!
• He thinks the new Black Sabbath CD is fantastic and Rick Rubin who is a huge Sabbath freak did an amazing job
• He will start writing for the new BLS studio CD in September at his home studio, the Black Vatican
• His has been heavily inspired by Justin Beiber and Lady GaGa for the next CD
• He doesn’t close the door on a Steel Dragon reunion
• Hopes there is a Pantera reunion and would be honored to play if asked
Overall it was a terrific event that was wildly entertaining. It was part rock n’ roll and part stand-up comedy lead by the ringmaster of mayhem and legendary guitarist/songwriter – Zakk Wylde.